Physiotherapy treats your joints and muscles ~ the 'musculo-skeletal system' ~
Easing discomfort and improving function & movement
Our physiotherapists start with an assessment
to diagnose your problem
This will include taking a history of events and a review of your medical history. This will be followed by a physical examination but don’t worry our clinicians are experienced and will do their utmost to keep you feeling comfortable and not to aggravate your pain. Typical tests look to determine range of movement, muscle strength, swelling, joint or ligament laxity. More specialised tests look for neurological impairment or circulatory dysfunction.
You will not be asked to undress, only to allow the physiotherapist to examine the injured area. You are advised to wear suitable loose fitting clothing and will be provided with a towel or gown to cover up if required.
Under the supervision of our physiotherapists a treatment program will be prescribed which will include a detailed explanation of your condition, a treatment plan including appropriate postural and care advice and a therapeutic exercise program.
Your treatment may include one or a combination of therapies...
- Rehabilitative Exercise to restore function, strength and movement
- Core Stability Exercise including Pilates or DMT to increase central control and stability
- Manual therapy techniques including mobilisation, manipulation and effleurage to restore joint and soft tissue mobility
- Neuro-muscular re-education to restore proprioception, balance and posture
Find out more - request a free call back from one of our experienced physiotherapists
Manual therapy is how physiotherapy started in the UK over 100 years ago.
Hands on assessment of the joints and muscles ( the musculo-skeletal system) identifies and subsequently addresses and treats dysfunction, tightness, weakness or restriction via manual techniques.
Our physiotherapists have been trained in the various schools of manual therapy including the Cyriax, Maitland, McKenzie and Mulligan approaches.
Their post graduate specialist training helps them bring tried and tested techniques into the modern evidence based era safely and effectively and to combine manual therapy with therapeutic exercise and electrotherapy
Your treatment Plan may include
- Joint mobilisation – Gentle graded manual techniques used to restore movement and function
- Massage – Including effleurage and trigger point techniques to reduce muscle spasm, normalise tone and length and to reduce discomfort and swelling.
- Manipulation following careful evaluation to restore function. For patiernt safety and comfort we employ low velocity, low amplitude manipulation only.
- Complimentary therapeutic exercise to allow you to gain the maximum benefit from the physical gains provided.
- As musculo-skeletal specialists our physiotherapy programs can provide significant benefits for the conditions listed in the blue column .
If you would like further detail or to know if we can help you please request a free call back from one of our experienced physiotherapists
This is the process whereby your physiotherapist helps you to restore fitness and conditioning
Rehabilitation regimes may be designed to improve your fitness prior to surgery to ensure you are in the best condition possible thus improving surgical outcome and following surgery to get you back to normal life. Pre operative exercise and advice programs have been proven to improve surgical outcomes and we work closely with our surgical colleagues throughout the region.
For those who require longer term input our associate sports therapists and personal trainers are available to design exercise regimes in collaboration with your physiotherapist ensuring your program is tailored to your needs and medical history.
Our physiotherapists also specialise in sports rehabilitation ensuring our athletes return to sport fit and conditioned for the specific demands of their sport. We also work closely with sports therapists and personal trainers who have specialist training in sports specific rehab and training regime design. They will design training regimes in collaboration with your physiotherapist ensuring your program is tailored to your needs and medical history.
Your treatment Plan may include
- Pre operative exercise regimes
- Post operative exercise and rehabilitation programs
- Advice regarding your procedure
- Manual therapy, electrotherapy, cryotherapy and massage
- Aids and Appliance - fitting & supply
Acupuncture is provided on a one to one basis by one of our specially trained physiotherapists.
A full assessment will be undertaken to ensure your suitability for treatment and to check there are no contra-indications to acupuncture. You will be supervised at all times and all clinical protocols for safety and efficacy will be adhered to .
In general acupuncture is not a painful or unpleasant treatment although certain specific points can be uncomfortable for a short period of time.
see our Acupuncture page
Physiotherapy can help...
- Spinal pain (Lumbar, Thoracic and Cervical)
- Muscle pain (Strains, tears, inflammatory conditions)
- Tendon pain (Tendonitis, tendonopathy, tears and post – ruptures)
- Fractures and Orthopaedic Trauma (Post-op mobilisation)
- Sprains and Strains (Soft Tissue Injuries)
- Sports Injury (including sport specific rehabilitation programs)
- Joint replacement (Post arthroplasty rehabilitation regimes)
- Orthopaedic Surgery (post-op rehabilitation)
- Neurosurgery (Post-op and post injection mobilisation and rehabilitation)
- Arthritis (mobilisation, treatment and advice for Osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis etc)
- Mobilty Problems (Age related loss of mobility programs, balance disorders, early neurological problems)
- Whiplash (Following road traffic accident)
- Workplace injury (includes back to work programs, workplace assessments etc)
- Myofascial problems (Myofascial and connected system rehabilitation including Dynamic Movement Training)
- Standard 30 minute physiotherapy session £ 38
- Home Visit: £ 55 – we allocate 60 mins to include travel time for our physiotherapist
- Under 18’s: £32 per session
- Students: £32 per session